Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Crafting on Hold- Installing Laminate Flooring

Just as I signed up for a doll designing class (thankfully this was a download so can go at my own pace), we finally decided it was time to think about installing laminate flooring.

With no prior experience in carpet removal or laminate flooring, we went shopping to find what we liked. The plan was to install in the studio, Lil Bub's room and the living room. What I didn't know, was that R is so dedicated to this now, that we are running full steam ahead, dishes, laundry, crafting be darned!

We started on the studio on Saturday. I got all my supplies, dolls and stuff packed and stored in Lil Bub's room. Then we all struggled to get the sleeper sofa out. I have no idea how the people who furnished the house got it in there. It was a total PITA! And won't be going back in.

The carpet removal had us stumped. So I thought I would go in the living room and look at what is under the carpet where the original installers screwed up. No problem just grab and pull! The carpet came off the strips (I call it tack strip but that isn't right, but whatever) easy peasy! Next was the padding. It came up easily as well, but it was stapled down. We spent about 2 hours removing the tack strips and staples.

Installing the laminate flooring was scary at first. But it soon became a simple matter of laying them down and making sure the planks snapped together (engage) prior to hammering them tight. The end pieces were frustrating and required what I call the happy hammer helper. Again I have no idea what it's called. It came in a kit with a hammer block.

On Sunday, we finished the studio and put the molding strips on. Looks really nice. The pics below are prior to the molding. I then started bringing things in. There's now room for the stationary bike!






I don't remember having Monday off, but anyway, I cleared out Lil Bub's room Tuesday morning and R helped with disassembling the bed. We got 98% of it done, molding laid along the back wall and sides and brought the bed back in. We'll finish this room this morning and the boys will go in to town and pick up what we'll need for the living room.

I'll be clearing out the entertainment center and moving what I can. R's plans for this room is to move the pellet stove out about 4 feet, lay the laminate, and slide the stove back. That sucker weighs 200lbs not counting the 40# of pellets in the hopper.

Oh, for the chance to sew for even 30 minutes would be heavenly!



No comments:

Post a Comment