Friday, April 08, 2011

"G" is for Granny Square Afghans

Crochet Granny Square BlanketImage by eef-ink via FlickrI am falling behind on the A-Z challenge. I honestly don't think I will get them all done by the end of April. I will attempt to spend the next few days getting as much as I can accomplished.
Today is "G" for Granny Squares!
I love the old fashioned granny square afghans.I've made 5 over the years. Two were color themed (one was various shades of yellow and the other in blues), and three in "crochet what you grab" colors.
This is very simple square to make. Here is my basic pattern:
Size G or H hook, worsted weight yarns in your choices of colors, 1 main color for the outer border on all squares.
Chain 4. Join with slip stitch to form a ring.
Round 1 - Chain 3, 2dc in loop, *ch3, 3dc in ring, rep from * two times, ch 3, join with slip stitch to top of beginning chain 3. Fasten off.
Round 2 - Attach new color, ch 3, 2dc in 3 ch space, ch3, 3dc in same space, ch1, 3dc in next ch3 space, ch3, 3dc in same space, ch1, repeat around and join to the top of beginning ch3.
Continue adding rounds until you are happy with the size of the square, keeping in mind there will be one last round of the chosen border color.
Sorry, I am not really good at writing instructions.
I did create a slideshow tutorial to go along with, enjoy!


Here's another great tutorial: http://www.craftstylish.com/item/1437/granny-square-how-to

I am currently working on one with a ch 2 space instead of ch1 for an "airier" look. The squares go together really quickly and you could have an afghan finished in less than two weeks.
Granny Squares Now: Dozens of Fresh Takes on a Crochet Classic is a fabulous book that has patterns for adding a new twist to an all time favorite block.

3 comments:

  1. Those are some cute granny squares!

    The Madlab Post

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love the granny aquare blankets. I have an old one, but didn't make it myself. It is brown and orange. Happy Easter, Holly :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops! I meant granny "square"
    Not "aquare" :)

    ReplyDelete